Sunday, January 18, 2015

Feeling Helpless

Frustrated that I can't do anything and knowing I don't know where to start to find anyone to help... 

These are the things that were rushing though my head as the doctor told me that he didn't think my daughter would ever learn to read, much better than she can right now (a second grade level)!  She has dyslexia with some other issues that make it hard when it comes to reading.

What will her future hold if she can't read? What will it be like as she enters middle school next year? Did I do something wrong? Is this really fact or does he not know what he's talking about?

The unstoppable thoughts that race won't turn off, they continue to make me think of how hard life could be for her if she isn't able to read. However, I don't want her to know that he said this because I want her to try her best to accomplish reading; and not have the thought that she can't do it in the back of her mind!

As a parent, I hate feeling helpless!

I have been searching for tools that could help her, but I have learned that there is a huge gap when it comes to finding educational materials, games, and programs for children in her age group!  Everything is focused on preschoolers, first - third, or older  school aged children.   There are some of these that focus on the skills she needs; however, because they are focused towards a different age it is either boring to her or she is completely lost.  I'm going to keep searching though, because I refuse to accept this!!

I have made an appointment with the school; and hopefully when we meet for her yearly assessment we can put a plan into place that better suits her needs; and this could help her accomplish this life goal!

Please keep us in your thoughts/prayers as tackle this in the upcoming days, week, and months to come! ((Thanks)) 

No comments:

Post a Comment