Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Creative Tuesday: Etching

As most of you may know, I love creativity; and I have been trying lots of new projects.  I've seen a lot of projects on etching glass and it is beautiful, so, I had to try it!!

My daughter's friend is getting married next weekend so I decided to try making a set of wine glasses for them.

I decided that since this was my FIRST attempt at etching I shouldn't go out and spend a fortune on glasses that could possibly be messed up.  My local Dollar Tree had some cute wine glasses that I purchased... If I mess up, I only lost $2.

With this project I decided to make the glasses more customized with Mr. & Mrs. instead of the traditional "Bride" & "Groom" on them.


I cut out Mr. & Mrs. Mills with my machine on vinyl and peeled all of the letters out; thankfully, there wasn't any letters that needed a piece left inside the letter (e, o, g, etc).  

Once I had the labels cut, I centered them on the glasses and got started...

I applied the etching cream and waited as the directions suggested.  When I washed it off I didn't think it had worked, to be honest, until I removed the vinyl.. but WOW, perfect!!

It's hard to see in the picture, but the lettering is perfect and turned out amazingly I thought.

I decorated them up with some cute bows that I had saved, which made them appear to be an expensive gift I had had made.. but I didn't.  Less than $20 invested (which I can use cream for many more projects) and less than 30 minutes of my time.

Personalized or thoughtful gifts, in my opinion, touch the heart in a different way!  I can't wait to give them to her and see her face.

I loved this project and plan to do another soon.  Next time, I promise to show the process in better detail, just incase you may want to tackle this project yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment