Sunday, November 16, 2014

Just trying to keep them Safe!

As children grow into young adults, most parents wonder where the time went as they are excited and a little overwhelmed with all the changes that are occurring along the way!  Recently, my oldest turned 16 and was able to get a licence...  and I began to think these things more than ever before!

It seems like yesterday that we came home from the hospital; yet, today I watched the car drive away in fear that something horrible would happen while I wasn't there!

I've tried my best to instill things that all young people should be thinking about when they begin driving on their own, and every day after.  I believe it is natural to feel terrified as a parent because everyone else on the road isn't watching what they are doing and we know that they haven't been faced with those emergency reactions until they take place.

As a women, there are things that I probably do that my husband wouldn't; but things I've instilled into my children and I think every driver needs to do to assure their safety at all times... this is what my kids call "being paranoid" but I think it is just being cautious!

These things include, but aren't limited to:

  1. NO Phone!! ~ Phones scare me when it comes to driving.  I don't go a day that I don't see someone texting or looking at their phone when they are behind the wheel.  One second looking at the phone could result in killing someone or hurting yourself.. It's NOT worth it!!
  2. Be Aware of Your Surroundings! ~  You never know who is hiding around a corner or watching to catch you off guard.
  3. Keep Doors Locked (Especially at night when driving alone) ~ You never know who is lurking near a stop sign/light or in a parking lot.  This also prevents someone from climbing into your backseat when you aren't in the car.
  4. Check fluids and tires often ~ Check fluids and tires on a regular basis.  You don't want to get stranded out in the middle of nowhere!
  5. Battery is Charged ~  Make sure phone battery is charged in case you need it in an emergency!
  6. Be Visual ~ When you are coming out of a store or even at home, be visual of everything.  Look under the car and around it as you approach to assure no one is lurking.
  7. Breaking Down ~ This one is a scary one as a parent because I would hate my child to be broke down beside the road, especially at night!  My advice would be to call someone as soon as you pull over (especially at night), keep doors locked, and stay in the car until help arrives. I know this doesn't pertain to every situation, but for my teenager it does! lol
  8. Don't Stop to Help someone who is Broke Down (especially female drivers)! ~ I know this sounds cold, but you never know if you are walking into a trap!  I talk my children to call for help if they see someone stranded that appear to need help, but to never stop unless they know that person personally.  This day-and-time it just isn't safe anymore!
I'm sure you may agree with my children, that I'm paranoid, after reading this tips to follow; but I think that we can never be too cautious or even paranoid if that's what you want to call it!  I just want my kids and everyone else to be more caution and stay Safe!




No comments:

Post a Comment